Monday, September 21, 2009

part deux

continuing on to my favorite part of the NYC lunch, the grilled cheese. I'll be honest, I've made a few of these in my day but this one was definitely one of my favorites. also super simple which is always a plus.

what you'll need:
* 2 slices of sourdough bread (or whatever you like best. texas toast would be great too)
* 3 slices white cheddar cheese (2 is probably sufficient but more cheese is always best in my book)
*white onion
*butter
*dijon mustard

start by caramelizing the onions. do this by heating up the butter (a tablespoon or two) in a skillet on medium heat and adding the onion (in long slices). keep the heat on med/low and stir continuously to ensure that the onion caramelizes correctly and doesn't burn. once the onion is done butter one side of each of the bread slices. spread dijon mustard on the other side of each piece. add the cheddar and onion and throw on the skillet until golden brown. 

I was craving something spicy the last time I made this so I added some slices/sauteed jalapeno which turned out to be delicious.

enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment